"Live out your imagination, not your history." — Stephen Covey
Original title of the land upon which Lakewood now resides was granted to William Beall, July 4th, 1727. Rock Creek ran through the property and Veirs Mill, built by Samuel Clark Veirs, was located at what is now Rockville and Washington Road. This became the land upon which Lakewood Country Club was founded in 1959.
The Club's founders, Messrs. Pickett, Allen and Post, desired a full-service country club, which would serve the growing region, drawing its members from the entire Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. Their goal became a reality as the Club quickly grew with 300 lifetime members and 700 resident memberships. An Advisory Board, chaired by legendary golfer Sam Snead, was established and consisted of influential local and national personalities, government officials, members of prominent area families, Congressmen, sports figures and radio and television personalities.
When the Club opened in 1959, it was a grand celebration. The membership strolled through the clubhouse and across the grounds, voicing their approval. When it was time for the unveiling of the course, none other than Sam Snead stepped to the first tee, challenged by U.S. Open and Master's Champion Arnold Palmer to christen the new Edmund Ault designed championship course. When the match was halted by weather at the 15th green, Snead held a 2-up over Palmer.
In 1963, Snead returned to face U.S. Open Champion Julius Boros in another match. In 1965, a $50,000 Challenge Match, featuring Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus, Gary Player, Deanne Beman, Bill Campbell and Dale Morey was held with Player winning by 16-shots on the field. Just a month earlier he had won the U.S. Open at Bellerive CC in Saint Louis, completing his career Grand Slam.
During the 1970s & 1980s, Lakewood enhanced its solid reputation with a series of improvements and upgrades to the Club, tennis, pool and golf operations. Looking into the future, the Club made the acquisition of land previously leased to better preserve the Club's future.
In 1991, the main level of the clubhouse underwent a significant renovation, with the lower level following in 1995 with a complete make-over. Also during this time, continued improvements and upgrades were made to the tees and greens, maintaining the quality of the course.
By 2003, the membership overwhelmingly voted to make further improvements to the golf course. However, rather than a piece-meal approach, this would be an all-inclusive renovation. To perform this, the Club contracted with Rees Jones, the preeminent designer in the game. His work across the country in renovating courses for the United States Golf Association in preparation for its National Championship, had magazines dub him the "Open Doctor." At Lakewood, he performed the same magic as he had on dozens of other courses. When the new course re-opened in 2005, it was clear that Lakewood now had one of the top five courses in the metropolitan area. The course was further enhanced in 2014 when The Better Billy Bunker System® was installed across the course. The result of this is that Lakewood's members have one of the finest courses in the area upon which to enjoy the game.
Further clubhouse enhancements took place in 2009 as a new interior was constructed, creating a transformation unlike no other in the DC area. The new design, with its clean lines, warm colors and a splash of elegance, give Lakewood a singular ambiance for our members and their guests to enjoy upon each visit.
Today, Lakewood is a welcoming destination for the recreational and dining enjoyment of members, their family and guests. It is a sought-after venue for regional, state and national golf events, while remaining a challenging, but fair test of golf.